Principal Objective of Position:
The Preconstruction Manager/Estimator is responsible for managing the project pre-construction phases associated with design, budget management, bidding, and issuance of subcontracts. This position will coordinate estimating and value analysis at each phase of design, ultimately preparing bid packages, bidding and scope reviews resulting in financial reviews, procurement and logistic plans. The Pre-Construction Manager/Estimator will work directly with the Vice President of Preconstruction, while coordinating with the Construction Team, Development Manager and Ownership.
The following reflects management’s definition of essential functions for this job but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. Management may assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
• Manage budgets, estimates, and pre-bid packages for construction projects.
• Identify, track and implement value engineering opportunities and proactively guide the design so as to optimize cost for value.
• Review project documents and identify potential conflicts and constructability questions.
• Prepare material takeoffs and pricing at each phase of design development, and track variance reports at each phase.
• Assist with preparing detailed instructions to bidders and comprehensive bid packages and subcontractor bid forms.
• Generate subcontractor bidder lists and interest in the project to ensure all scopes of work are covered on bid day.
• Ensure proper bidder coverage and proper scope is included during the bidding phase
• Perform for scope reviews, negotiations and prepare each subcontractor for final contract.
• Conduct and collaborate with the team for final award of subcontractors and turnover of the final budget to the construction team
• Review the general contract budget with all project costs including subcontractor bids, material costs, equipment costs, general conditions and overhead and profit margins.
• Identify project opportunities and risks.
• Prepare and participate in the preparation and presentation of cost/budget information to senior management.
• Generate, monitor and enforce preconstruction schedules to ensure proper buyout, and construction starts.
• Be corporate liaison between the development and construction teams
• Maintain subcontractor database and relationships
• Review, extrapolate and track historical unit costs from completed bids
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering or related discipline, or equivalent education and experience required.
• Minimum 5-7 years previous experience construction estimating field
• Experience writing and negotiating subcontracts
• Demonstrated experience in base development, capital improvements, real estate, and construction projects.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Knowledge and understanding of real estate development and construction, preferably within the student-housing industry.
• Strong capacity for research and problem solving.
• Ability to complete estimates within tight deadlines, while working on multi projects simultaneously
• Ability to read, interpret, and evaluate drawings and specifications.
• Knowledge and understanding of unit costs and the factors that affect construction costs.
• Ability to adjust plans and schedule to respond to project conditions, crisis situations and to withstand pressure attributable to meeting the changing needs of company executives.
• Candidate must possess strong decision-making, problem-solving and negotiating skills
• Strong computer skills including the ability to use estimating software (Sage/Timberline), on screen takeoff software, spreadsheets, bid management and communication tools, such as email and the internet.
• Experience and demonstrated with MS Word and MS Excel.
• Ability to communicate effectively and professionally both verbally and in writing. Understanding of construction means, methods and sequences.
• Knowledge and understanding of the intricacies of wood framed construction
• Project management related experience strongly preferred.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• General office environment.
• Ability to sit and work on a computer for extended periods of time.
• Ability to use standard office equipment including a computer, copier, printer, scanner, fax machine, etc.
• Ability to travel as necessary.