Principal Objective of Position:
The Capital Accountant prepares the capitalization of new projects and capital improvement projects, as they occur, within the Trinitas student housing portfolio and other Trinitas-affiliated entities.
• Prepares and submits for approval the initial compilation of monthly construction loan draw requests for assigned active capital projects.
• Assists in the timely completion of the monthly accounting close for assigned capital projects.
• Facilitates the entry of contracts, change-orders and internal budget transfers for assigned construction projects within the job cost system.
• Coordinates with Construction Administration to procure necessary administrative paperwork such as lien waivers, notarizations and lien releases as necessary for assigned projects.
• Perform all necessary tasks to prepare and pay accounts payable debts including, but not limited to the following:
o Assure invoices and requisitions are received timely.
o Verify that transactions comply with financial policies and procedures.
o Review, sort, and match invoices and check requests.
o Set up invoices for payment.
o Code invoices as necessary or required.
o Issue checks for all accounts payable invoices and check requests to ensure timely payment.
o Coordinates with Corporate Accounting to ensure timely distribution of project-related checks and approvals.
o Coordinates with Director, Finance & Assistant Treasurer to ensure sufficient account funding.
• Perform all accounting and administrative tasks in such a manner that facilitates and enhances the performance on the Capital Accounting Department.
• Communicate professionally with vendors, contractors, and staff as necessary to reconcile discrepancies, report payment status, request information, etc.
• Provide Development Reporting to Construction and Development departments as required.
• The Capital Accountant must be available to perform ad-hoc analyses for assigned construction and development projects as deemed necessary by supervisors and management.
• Maintain confidentiality of all records and information as required by employer.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required:
• Associates Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
• Minimum 1 years of experience in multi-site Accounts Payable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Ability to effectively manage competing and conflicting demands on time and attention.
• Ability to work efficiently without direct supervision.
• Ability to effectively troubleshoot various systems issues to find an effective solution.
• Strong problem solving skills.
• Knowledge and ability to effectively perform tasks using Microsoft Office products (especially MS Excel), Internet, and other company utilized systems, programs, and software.
• Ability to work extended hours on occasion and when necessary to complete assigned tasks.
• Ability to maintain and present a professional image in all situations, but especially in difficult or sensitive situations.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration.
• Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
• Previous experience as a real estate accountant or analyst.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• General office environment.
• Work is generally performed in an office environment with standard office equipment available.
• Ability to manipulate a computer keyboard.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time.
• Ability to work in front of a computer monitor for extended periods of time.