Principal Objective of Position:
The Project Engineer will play a key support role on our Construction team. They will help coordinate key administrative activities that enables the Construction team to run projects smoothly. This includes project onboarding, project administration, data analysis and reporting, and project close out. The ideal candidate will be very detailed, organized, able to manage time and priorities.
• Create and maintain a database of cost indexes for various types of construction projects and materials.
• Develop in-house cost estimates and pre-construction schedules for new ground-up, renovation, and capital improvements projects.
• Initiate and the review of contractor provided schedule of values and clarifications/assumptions via Request for Proposal process. Deliver synopsis of findings and recommendations to the Pre-Construction Team.
• Monitor labor and material cost inflation risk and advise as to timing or bidding strategies.
• Participate in key bid scoping sessions as needed with the GC and subcontractors to ensure that project buyouts are efficient and cost effective.
• Assist the Construction Management Team periodically during the construction phase (pay app reviews, change order reviews, etc.).
• Gather, categorize, review, and compare construction costs for patterns across all projects.
• Ensure that design standards are implemented by design teams and purchased by General Contractor – offering Value Engineering options when appropriate.
• Learn and educate the team about new concepts in construction – such as modular construction – and new materials that provide value to future projects.
• Work with the other office staff and departments to maintain an efficient workflow on payment issues, lien waivers, and change orders.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience Required:
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred; Construction Management, Civil/Structural Engineering, or related field.
• 5 years of experience in the cost/schedule estimating and bidding of student housing, multi-family residential is required.
• Proven efficiency in quantity take-offs using a PDF scaling program, OST or similar software.
• Required proficiency in Excel.
• Effective multitasking abilities.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• A demonstrated self-starter who can contribute to a team environment.
• Experience with negotiating cost with contractors, vendors, and designers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
• Ability to read project drawings and specifications required
• Understanding of how to effectively manage construction staffs to achieve high levels of productivity that meet or exceed industry norms
• Ability to multi-task and prioritize to align with project goals.
• Be self-motivated with excellent organization and time management skills.
• Ability to interact with all levels of internal and external resources in a professional manner.
• 10-hour OSHA certificate
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Primarily indoor / office environment however does require some travel for regular jobsite visits to maintain a working knowledge of the project status.
• Must be able to traverse and inspect all areas of jobsite in all types of weather; this may include walking, climbing, reaching, bending, crawling, or stretching.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time.
• May require travel.
• Exposure to characteristic construction site dangers.
• Must be on-call to address delays, emergencies, bad weather, and other issues at the jobsite.